ORGANIC COTTON FAQS
What is the makeup of your organic cotton fabric?
Our organic cotton underwear is made from 95% organic cotton blended standard that is industry-approved for OCS Blended.
What is the difference between regular and organic cotton?
For regular cotton, farmers use genetically modified seeds, which makes the cotton more resistant to bugs. Farmers also use pesticides and insecticides, even though they can be harmful to the health of workers, the biodiversity, and the quality of the soil. Farmers try to make regular cotton grow faster by using fertilizer on the same soil for an extended period of time, which in the long term will require the cotton to be heavily irrigated in order to grow properly. After regular cotton is fully grown, farmers use chemical herbicides to kill weeds before harvesting. The harvesting is often done by machines that emit heavy CO2 emissions. When harvested, regular cotton is processed using chemicals containing heavy metals and chlorine which cannot be removed by washing.
Organic cotton grows from natural seeds, which makes the cotton more pure and natural than regular cotton. Instead of using harmful insecticides, organic cotton farmers introduce specialized insects to their fields that reduce the number of harmful bugs. This is not only good for local biodiversity and soil health, but also for the health of farmworkers. Farmers who grow organic cotton do not need fertilizer. They keep their soil healthy and fertile using crop rotation, which results in healthier crops and less water usage. Organic cotton farmers manually remove their weeds, eliminating the need for chemical herbicides. This creates more jobs for local communities and supports local economies. Harvesting is also done by hand, so the cotton crop is not damaged by machines resulting in a higher-quality yarn. Because of its purity, organic cotton is a stronger and better fiber than regular cotton.
Why is Organic better for the environment?
Regular cotton production uses about 16% of the world's insecticides and 7% of pesticides. Organic cotton does not need any toxic chemicals and utilizes 80% of its water from natural rainfall, which reduces the pressure on local water sources. Organic cotton uses 88% less water, 62% less energy, and 50% less CO2 than regular cotton, which is good for the environment. Organic cotton is hypoallergenic, sustainable, and eco-friendly in contrast to regular cotton. Organic cotton is beneficial to local ecosystems, reduces wastewater, and ensures a safer working environment for farmers and manufacturers.
You say it's 95% Organic Cotton. What about the other 5%?
The other 5% is made from recycled polyester spandex to give the garment an extra bit of stretch. Additionally, the attached branding tags on these garments are made from an FSC certified recycled cotton paper tag, and the packaging that the underwear arrives in is made from GRS recycled polyurethane.
For more information on Organic Content Standards, visit here
To shop our complete Organic Cotton Collection, visit here